This Blog Is Moving

*PLEASE NOTE: All posts are moving to www.disneydonnakay.blogspot.com I will continue to post in both places until the end of June. Begining July 1, 2011 I will post solely on the other site. I hope you will follow me there. Thanks!!















Monday, June 27, 2011

Mentoring Mondays - Beth - A Disney Moms Thoughts

Beth - A Disney Mom's Thoughts

Blog: www.adisneymomsthoughts.blogspot.com
Twitter:  @adisneymom
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/adisneymomsthoughts

Welcome to Mentoring Mondays!! Today's featured blogger is Beth Green of A Disney Moms Thoughts. Beth holds a special place in my heart, she is the very first person to follow my blog. I think she accidentally found me right after Auburn won the national championship when I posted the Auburn Fight Song. So you see, we share three very important things, our love of Disney, our love of Auburn University (War Eagle Beth!) and we are both Alabama girls. But I have to tell you, even if we didn't share these I would still love her blog. So I will step aside now and let you read what you really come here for.

1. Introduce yourself and describe your blog.
My name is Beth Green.  I’m a mom of two boys ages 10 and 2.  While I am the “Disney Freak” in the family, all my boys support my obsession and we try to travel to WDW at least every other year, if not every year.  When I’m not blogging about Disney or being a mom, I am a full time youth minister. “A Disney Moms Thoughts” is now 15 months old!  Through my blog I try to share my thoughts, ideas, tips and experiences about Disney, particularly Walt Disney World.  Many of my posts deal with our past travels and traveling with children.


2. What inspired you to start blogging?
I started blogging for 1 reason: to attend the Social Media Mom’s Conference at WDW!  I read Disney blogs and followed the Disney Mom’s Panel members on twitter for over a year.  When I read about the SMM Conference I knew I had to start being a “social media mom” in order to attend, so I started blogging and soon a twitter account and facebook page followed.  Now it’s an obsession!  Maybe in 2012 I’ll be fortunate enough to attend! :)

3. I know you write for the Magical Blogorail Green, and are a guest blogger on occasion, how are these post different from your regular blog post?
My Magical Blogorail posts aren’t that much different from my regular posts.  I write about what I know and what I’ve experienced.  I know I do a better job of editing my Blogorail posts since I know more people will be reading and I’m linked to other writers- even though I’m sure you will still find type-os and grammatical errors in them…  I think sometimes my Blogorail posts are longer because I put more thought into them.  We have our topic for several weeks before we go “live” so I have plenty of time to think about the topic and do research if needed.

4. Any tips for those who would like the opportunity to write for other blogs?
Don’t be afraid to ask and put yourself out there!  When I first ran across the Magical Blogorail I thought it was amazing!  It wanted so much to be a part of it so I put myself out there and asked about being a part.  When other bloggers ask for guest bloggers, put yourself out there and volunteer!  When someone asks for a co-host for a blog hop, put yourself out there.

5. How important are photos to your blog, how many pictures do you usually use in a post?
Photos are important to my blog.  I try to use at least one photo on each post.  Sometimes I use more.  I am a visual person and I like to have photos to accompany the text.  I like photos (on other blogs) when they are writing about something I haven’t experienced and I try to remember that for my readers.  Everyone hasn’t experienced all I have, so when I write about something at WDW, I try to add photos for those people who have never seen or done it.


6. You are a Mom of 2 and Youth Minister for your church and still find time to blog, you must be very organized, any organization tips for us?
This question makes me laugh because I am made fun of often at work and home for how organized I am!  I have multiple calendars, to do lists, files, binders and spreadsheets going at all times.  My organization tips are 1) keep a calendar and write everything on it- when you have appointments, parties, dates, meetings, birthdays, etc.  I even write on my calendar when special events are at WDW so I will remember to blog about it at the right time!  2) keep your computer organized.  Utilize folders and create good file names so they are easy to find in the future.  3) stay on top of things and don’t let anything get too out of hand (housework, shopping, couponing, laundry, yard work, etc).  Do a little each day or week and don’t put it off until it’s too big to handle.  4) once all your “life stuff” is  under control, take time to write several blog posts at once and either schedule them to post or keep them to edit before you’re ready to post.


7. I know you use social networking (Twitter/Facebook) and post very regularly.  Which do you feel has been more beneficial to you in relation to your blog and why?
Personally, I like Facebook better.  I’ve been using facebook for years and it’s familiar.  But, I get more visitors from twitter, so I guess it’s been more beneficial.  It wasn’t until I started using “tweetdeck” that twitter became a useful tool!  I can now schedule my tweets ahead of time directing others to my blog.  There’s another organization tip!

8. You are currently planning your 16th Disney vacation. Please share a favorite Disney vacation memory.
Wow!  What a hard question!  I have so many so I’ll make a quick list for you~ taking my sons for the first time, running in the marathon (03) and half marathon (08), going on the pressed penny hunt with my friend Heath, spending time at the MK with my husband, and driving the monorail!


9. Do you have a Disney Vacation tip you would like to share with our readers?
Be prepared.  Have all the “stuff” you think you’ll need at your resort or in your backpack.  Be familiar with the parks, the distance between things, and how long it takes to get places.  Know the park hours, parade times and your dining times before you arrive and plan accordingly. Don’t think you’ll be able to do it all- you won’t!

10. Anything you would like to add?
Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your Mentoring Mondays.  What an honor to be interviewed with these other bloggers that I admire myself!  If any of your readers have specific questions for me, feel free to ask and I’ll answer- either with my own experiences or after some research!  You can contact me through my blog, email, facebook or twitter.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I too am an Alabama girl - although I say Roll Tide instead of War Eagle! I love reading A Disney Moms Thoughts blog - it's great!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I love the organization tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa!! I can use all of the organizational help I can get!!

    ReplyDelete